Question for the Roto Rooter Man about Motherboards

Issues related to gaming whether it be for consoles (XBOX, PS2, etc.) or computer games you can chat and try to find help here.
This is not for topics relating to the [TRU] Clan game servers.

Moderators: Staff, Network Admins

UrPeaceKeeper
Joined: Thursday, January 6th, 2005, 4:59:11amUTC (2005-01-06T04:59:11+00:00UTC)

Question for the Roto Rooter Man about Motherboards

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

This is more like 6 questions but Rooter i think i can trust ya =)

Part Number 1:
I just recieved my new ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard and i was wondering if you had any clue as to why it may or may not be recognizing my particular processor, it says "Unknown Processor 2200" (THe actual processor is a Barton 2500+ which i HAD hopes of overclocking to near a 3200, but thats a later question), is there any way to FORCE it to recognize the proc so i can properly overclock it/ do what i need w/ it.

Part Number 2:
It seems my computer likes to randomly Restart itself everynow and then, now i dont know if this is a result of any of my previous equipment (it was doing this b4 i updated my proc/Mb/Heatsink and Fan) or if its something in the bios or what, i was hoping you may have an insight on it!any help would be spastastic

Part Number 3:
This is the overclocking question, when i go into my bios and go into the advance chip setting and set the CPU Multiplier i get numbers up to 15X then it starts splitting them, the highest one in the doubles is 9.0X/18X and im curious as to what it means, when i set my proc to this it comes up as a "Unknown Processor 1800" which is wierd if it is truley overclocking it 18X more

Part Number 4:
When i first started setting up my comp's HDD's i set the primary master to master (in the jumpers) and the other to cable select ( i also tried all other combinations) and plugged the IDE cable into the correct ones (primary went in the primary HDD, slave into the slave HDD) when i started it up, it recognized my larger HD (no OS) but not my other one and as my primary slave, when i reverse it, i get the opposite affect from the first time. I tried this numerous times playing w/ the jumper settings and stuff in the bios to no avail, i eventually just installed Windows XP again on my 163g HDD (in 10 minutes, which was wierd but it was 10 minutes of installing windows xp fun) You wouldnt happen to have a solution to this HDD recognition error would you?

Phew that was alot, if anyone has any incite on to these problems, please help me i want this comp to be top notch and kicken so i can wtf pWnz0rs you all in CSS :D
UrPeaceKeeper

"And shepherds we shall be for Thee, my lord, for Thee Power hath decended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command and we will flow a river forth to thee and teaming with souls shall it ever be in nomine Patris, et Filli, et Spiritus Sancti"
Root
Systems/Network Administrator
Joined: Sunday, March 2nd, 2003, 5:34:39pmUTC (2003-03-02T17:34:39+00:00UTC)

Re: Question for the Roto Rooter Man about Motherboards

Post by Root »

UrPeaceKeeper wrote:Part Number 1:
I just recieved my new ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard and i was wondering if you had any clue as to why it may or may not be recognizing my particular processor, it says "Unknown Processor 2200" (THe actual processor is a Barton 2500+ which i HAD hopes of overclocking to near a 3200, but thats a later question), is there any way to FORCE it to recognize the proc so i can properly overclock it/ do what i need w/ it.
Make sure your BIOS is up to date. If it's up to date as verified by the manufacturer's web site then they may have just not included support for your specific processor, but that doesn't mean it will not work. You would then just have to manaully set the correct voltages and such for your processor.

UrPeaceKeeper wrote:Part Number 2:
It seems my computer likes to randomly Restart itself everynow and then, now i dont know if this is a result of any of my previous equipment (it was doing this b4 i updated my proc/Mb/Heatsink and Fan) or if its something in the bios or what, i was hoping you may have an insight on it!any help would be spastastic
I would make sure your BIOS is up to date and that your power supply meets your power requirements. You can use some simple testing devices to check for proper voltages also. One such device is the POWMAX ATX Power Supply Tester. See: http://www.powmax.com/ (Products > Accessories > scroll to the very bottom or visit: http://www.powmax.com/pics/accessory/powertester.htm)

UrPeaceKeeper wrote:Part Number 3:
This is the overclocking question, when i go into my bios and go into the advance chip setting and set the CPU Multiplier i get numbers up to 15X then it starts splitting them, the highest one in the doubles is 9.0X/18X and im curious as to what it means, when i set my proc to this it comes up as a "Unknown Processor 1800" which is wierd if it is truley overclocking it 18X more
I'm not sure exactly what that is you're adjusting. Refer to your motherboard manual to find out. My guess is that it's the processor's clock multiplier in which it doesn't work how you're thinking it is.
Front Side Bus (FSB) MHz X Clock Multiplier = CPU MHz
For this calculation the FSB number is before DDR; so if it's 400 DDR then it's 200 before.

UrPeaceKeeper wrote:Part Number 4:
When i first started setting up my comp's HDD's i set the primary master to master (in the jumpers) and the other to cable select ( i also tried all other combinations) and plugged the IDE cable into the correct ones (primary went in the primary HDD, slave into the slave HDD) when i started it up, it recognized my larger HD (no OS) but not my other one and as my primary slave, when i reverse it, i get the opposite affect from the first time. I tried this numerous times playing w/ the jumper settings and stuff in the bios to no avail, i eventually just installed Windows XP again on my 163g HDD (in 10 minutes, which was wierd but it was 10 minutes of installing windows xp fun) You wouldnt happen to have a solution to this HDD recognition error would you?
I would set main HDD to master. Set the second HDD to slave. Connect both to the primary IDE controller. The master connector is on the end of the shorter side of the IDE cable and the motherboard is connected to the end of the longer side of the IDE cable and the slave connector is in the middle of the IDE cable.

I hope this has been helpful.
The Root Underground | TRU - Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
DBA TRU Networks Hosting Services https://www.trunetworks.com
TRU Domains Registrar Services https://www.tru.domains (Reseller/Bulk discounts available.)
UrPeaceKeeper
Joined: Thursday, January 6th, 2005, 4:59:11amUTC (2005-01-06T04:59:11+00:00UTC)

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

ill check on the voltage thing, but my 520w Aspire Powersupply should be able to handle it, althought maybe not, recently MS XP Pro has been giving me the "Look a bad file" send error report thing, trying to figure it out and im hoping its the cause of this bull restarting, which it obviously likes doing, but i'll look into that. Here is what my Advanced Chipset Features panel looks like in BIOS

Advanced Chipset Features
CPU External Freq. (MHz) [200 MHz]
CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Menu]
CPU Frequency Multiple [11.5X] <---This is default
System Performance [Optimal]
CPU Interface Optimal
Memory Frequency [By SPD]
Resulting Frequency 200Mhz
Memory Timings Optimal
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay 8
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay 3
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay 3
SDRAM CAS Latency 3T

Then it goes on w/ AGP stuff. Stuff w/out [] is grayed out stuff (cant be changed)

I've been trying to find the latest bios drivers for my MB but ASUS's website is a biatch to navagate and the auto updaters blows out my butt and freezes, i also havent installed SP2 yet, if that changes a whole lot

As far has HDD's go, When i set my main HDD to master and my second one to Slave neither respond or only one shows up. My parents think its the jumper settings but according to the diagrams on the HDD's they jumpers are set correctly. Also the IDE's are plugged incorectly, they are labeled and i made sure they coresponded w/ the harddrive that were slave and master.

To be honest w/ you this has been more helpful then other forums which are either inaccessible or extremely hard to understand =)
UrPeaceKeeper

"And shepherds we shall be for Thee, my lord, for Thee Power hath decended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command and we will flow a river forth to thee and teaming with souls shall it ever be in nomine Patris, et Filli, et Spiritus Sancti"
Root

Post by Root »

Have you installed the chipset drivers yet?

You can download them via the motherboard or chipset manufacturer's web site.

For your motherboard in general, including chipset drivers:
http://usa.asus.com/support/download/it ... E%20Deluxe

For your chipset only: (nForce)
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
(Might have more up to date chipset drivers than the motherboard manufacturer web site.)
Last edited by Root on Friday, February 4th, 2005, 1:40:17amUTC (2005-02-04T01:40:17+00:00UTC), edited 1 time in total.
TRU Domains Registrar Services https://www.tru.domains (Reseller/Bulk discounts available.)
UrPeaceKeeper

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

i installed all the files that came on the cd except their virus protection stuff, im checking their site to see if its even possible to find it, since hte board is an Nvidia NForce2, Nvidia would have the chipset stuff right? or would Asus?
UrPeaceKeeper

Root

Post by Root »

Ah, you replied quick. I edited my previous post to include download links.
UrPeaceKeeper

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

they wernt joking when they said u knew all =) AWESOME its working at 3200 atm superb work, Claps for rooter! /clap!! /clap! /clap!! you make my world go round =) Just got off the phone w/ my brothers friend who is a computer engineer, says the random restart could be caused by any number of things, MB touching case, powercord from PS to MB not in all the way, too much draw from one power item etc etc, checking em atm, trying to see if any of em will fix this random crap, i'm thinking it might be something w/ my power supply since it started doing this just b4 i bought my new MB on my old MB and proc. /shrug
UrPeaceKeeper

UrPeaceKeeper

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

Found my crash error, as well as my cpu fan not starting. Crash errors were related to memory, not supported, strange that a MB wouldnt support Crucial pc 3200 DDR Dual Channel 400 FSB memory, looking at some supported Corsair stuff looking like another 200 dollar upgrade on my comp to get it running top notch, really rather sad and unfortuanate. THe CPU fan i fixed by disabling Q-Fan in the bios, running all the time now, and my comp is still running around 78 degrees Ferenheit and trust me, thats cold enough for me, esp w/ overclocked proc to 3200+ (running around 2.3 ish gig)
UrPeaceKeeper

UrPeaceKeeper

Rootz, i need your help again!!!!

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

I've got my mem fixed and all that jive, now i need your help again. When i play CS:S i can sometimes play for ever, and sometimes i can only play for 5 minutes before my game locks up and has some error that i cant see. When i press enter the game closes and my computer is fine. Any suggestions? ahh just saw the error, its a Memory Could not Read error, gonna look it up online
UrPeaceKeeper

Root

Re: Rootz, i need your help again!!!!

Post by Root »

UrPeaceKeeper wrote:I've got my mem fixed and all that jive, now i need your help again. When i play CS:S i can sometimes play for ever, and sometimes i can only play for 5 minutes before my game locks up and has some error that i cant see. When i press enter the game closes and my computer is fine. Any suggestions? ahh just saw the error, its a Memory Could not Read error, gonna look it up online
Try entering the error message into the STEAM support web site.
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/

You might also want to search the STEAM forums, but they may be full of so much "spam" and useless messages it could be hard to find anything helpful there.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/search.php
UrPeaceKeeper

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

searched their forums forever, tried what they said on all of em to no avail, i think its a HL2 error, im not getting it on any other game, ill try the custhelp one
UrPeaceKeeper

Root

Post by Root »

UrPeaceKeeper wrote:ill try the custhelp one
I was sort of meaning for that one to be the first place to look.

As stated before I would definitely make sure all of your hardware drivers are up-to-date including chipset, video, sound drivers and also DirectX.

Check Windows Update for DirectX updates.
UrPeaceKeeper

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

found my error message, but i do there stuff and i just get the sound stuttering error, i fix it and the game wont run
UrPeaceKeeper

Wh0a
Joined: Thursday, December 16th, 2004, 3:57:57amUTC (2004-12-16T03:57:57+00:00UTC)

Up shit creek

Post by Wh0a »

What graphics drivers are you using?

I had a problem that was very similar. I'd play for a while and then I'd just lock up. Have to restart and try again. I uninstalled the drivers then installed the latest.

Just a thought from a lost cause.

:)
UrPeaceKeeper

Post by UrPeaceKeeper »

i'm using the new Catalyst drivers from ATI its like 5.1 or sumtin like that. It may have something to do with the GPU Overheating, but im fixing that in a week w/ a new Exhaust blower for my 9800 Pro (friggen fan is shot on it, makes a wierd clicking noise)
UrPeaceKeeper