Email help

Issues related to web site development and the hosting they're on.

Moderators: Staff, Network Admins

cindys5
Joined: Thursday, October 27th, 2005, 1:51:24amUTC (2005-10-27T01:51:24+00:00UTC)

Email help

Post by cindys5 »

I am a reseller. I have a client who wants to know what to put her email settings on in order to send and receive mail for her site using incredimail. She wants to know the server port numbers. Can anyone tell me where to find this info for her?
Cindy
Root
Systems/Network Administrator
Joined: Sunday, March 2nd, 2003, 5:34:39pmUTC (2003-03-02T17:34:39+00:00UTC)

Re: Email help

Post by Root »

cindys5 wrote:I am a reseller. I have a client who wants to know what to put her email settings on in order to send and receive mail for her site using incredimail. She wants to know the server port numbers. Can anyone tell me where to find this info for her?
Cindy
Hi Cindy,

Your client would need to enter certain info in this type of format:

For the POP3 (receiving), SMTP (sending), or IMAP mail server addresses, use:
mail.domain.tld
Note: Replace domain.tld with your client's domain name.

For the login username, your client would enter their full email address. The @ may optionally be replaced with a + sign, both of which will work. Other than that they would just need to enter their email account password. :)

Now for the ports:

For SMTP, you can use ports 25 which is the default, and 26 which is an alternate if your ISP blocks the default port, which they only do to try and make you use their own SMTP servers.

For POP3, you may use the default port of 110, and usually this never has to be changed.

for IMAP, you may use the default port of 143, and like POP3, this usually is never changed.

Most of the time when the above ports may be different is if you were trying or needing to use SSL encryption for the connection to the mail server.
The Root Underground | TRU - Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
DBA TRU Networks Hosting Services https://www.trunetworks.com
TRU Domains Registrar Services https://www.tru.domains (Reseller/Bulk discounts available.)